2008-06-07

The Internet is Just a Fad.. so is the iPhone

"I can use the wifi at home, at work, at the mall and downtown Moncton. But in between those locations I'm out of luck. And that is why I need the new iPhone with its 3G connection."
 
 
"The Internet is Just a Fad." That is the bold prediction that one of my computer science classmates wrote in a collaboration paper we had to write in 1996.
 
The Internet on cell phones is about as popular today as the Internet on computers was in 1996. I think the Internet on your cell phone will soon be just as popular as is the Internet on your computer today.
 
And that is why I'm heavily invested in Apple. Because Apple has the only device that makes the World Wide Web practical on a cell phone. Nothing else even comes close. And Monday the new iPhone will be even better... and it will be available world wide.
 
To say that I'm an iPhone fan would be an understatement. And yet I only have an iPod touch. The only beef I have with the iPod touch is the lack available wifi networks. I can use the wifi at home, at work, at the mall and downtown Moncton. But in between those locations I'm out of luck. And that is why I need the new iPhone with its 3G connection.
 
Now you think you don't need the Internet everywhere, but you will.
 
To use an analogy, RIM's Blackberry is like the pre-World Wide Web Internet. Useful? You bet.
Nokia, LG, Samsung and HTC and other sometimes co-branded phones are like the pre-WWW Bulletin Bord Services (bbs) such as AOL, Prodigy and Compuserve. Entertaining? Sure.
 
The iPhone is the World Wide Web. Easy to use, graphical, usefull and entertaining. Today, everybody uses the Internet.
 
Granted, I've been wrong before. Corel's Java Office suite didn't dislodge Microsoft's Office suite. And phone companies still distribute phone books, getting rid which was the whole point of France's Minitel (Frances pre-WWW popular network). And I never, ever expected to have an ever decreasing salary because of work exported to India.. via Internet.

No comments:

Labels

Canada (204) Internet (124) TV (104) iPhone (103) World (99) Liberal Party (65) New Brunswick (44) OUI (43) Ipod touch (33) Media (33) haha (29) Bus (26) Environment (16) StreetView (16) La politique (15) Twitter (15) Travel (12) wmtc (12) Books (11) iPad (11) Gadgets (10) Cancer (7) Monde (6) tetesaclaques (6) HOC (5) Shoshana (4) Games (2) Index (1) tac (1)

Twitter Updates