2007-08-26

"Thank You India": Bell

Don't blame India, blame the process. Yes, according to Kevin Crull, president of residential services at Bell Canada, the process is to blame: "I blame the process challenges we have for complaints about offshore staffing."
 
A Toronto Star article (posted below) quotes him as saying : "Call centre staff, when dealing with a repeat issue, are allowed to stop the clock and not let the customer go until it's resolved. They can give out their phone numbers so customers can call back ." Hmm, how much does Bell charge to call a direct line in India?
 
Meanwhile, my employer encouraged us to work overtime while the call centre in Jamaica was out of service due to the hurricane... If India and Pakistan ever duke it out in a war, they'll be making us work 16 hour days ! But at least we'll be able to keep customers on the line until we resolved their issues. (What, no more hanging up on customers? Sarcasm).
 
Thankfully for Bell, service sucks just as much at Rogers, Primus et al. The consumer has been clear, they will put up with lousy (aka unbelievably horrible) service to save a few bucks.
 
How long do I have to study to become an Ontario teacher?
 
Related links:
Bell Canada deal angers bond holders

24 Aug 2007 by Operator  
The proposed leveraged buyout of Bell Canada by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, along with two US-based private equity firms, is generating more controversy.

i hate calling bell canada

22 Aug 2007
Forum: Main Forum Posted By: Wiggles Post Time: 08-22-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Medium Pimpin Webmaster Board - http://bbs.mediumpimpin.com

How NOT to Provide Customer Service at Bell Canada  

Can Bell's customer service be fixed?

August 25 2007 by Ellen Roseman

You don't have to read all 200+ comments at Bell Bliues to know that the telecom giant has serious problems.

Bell Blues

March 29 2007 by Ellen Roseman

Since I get many complaints about Bell Canada's ineptness in dealing with customers, I did a recent column (March 24) asking readers whether Bell's service was improving

Will Bell Canada's Buyout Break the Bank?

-Thank You lyrics, Alanis Morisette

 

 
Bell home-phone chief 'fesses up and vows better
 
Toronto Star Aug 25, 2007 04:30 AM

 

Last week, I highlighted complaints involving Rogers home-phone service. This week, Bell's on the line.

Here are some stories of bungled service, along with candid comments from a Bell executive who thinks customers have been getting shortchanged.

Vito Curalli: "Our home-phone line was cut dead without warning. For no apparent reason, Bell had changed the contact information from D. Curalli (my wife) to V. Curalli and had sent bills to a different address for 18 months. We had to pay $750 to catch up and weren't allowed to pay it off over three months, as requested."

Mark Miedzwiedzki: "I have three Bell services and signed up for ExpressVu to get the bundle discounts that are advertised. My first bill had no discount. I found out I need high-definition TV, which I don't want, to get the savings. Now I have to pay $250 to cancel the satellite service."

Brian Wilson: "Bell promised to cut my Sympatico bills by 25 per cent if I stayed for two years. The June bill had no discount. The July bill had no discount. I was told I'd have to pay $200 to leave. Later, Bell restored the discount and waived the $200 penalty, but I had already switched to Rogers for Internet service (cheaper and faster)."

Leigh Anne Sauer: "When we moved last December, we had one satellite dish and one receiver. Bell charged us for moving four receivers, at an extra cost of $215 deducted from my credit card. After logging four calls, I still hadn't received my reimbursement by July 31."

Kevin Crull, president of residential services at Bell Canada, responds to emails within hours, even on weekends. He took charge of readers' complaints after I did a few columns earlier this year and started an On Your Side blog at the Toronto Star website (and www.ellenroseman.com).

Crull is frustrated with how slowly things move at this large telecom company.

"Some days, I'm happy with the progress and some days, I throw up my hands. There are still far too many challenges," he said.

"Two years ago, I saw the company make a decision to cut costs that I knew would cause customer pain. Now we're having to reinvest."

Crull has extended the call centre hours (which used to end at 7 p.m. on weekdays). He found the average handling time for customer calls was squeezed too tight, so he added time back.

Call centre staff, when dealing with a repeat issue, are allowed to stop the clock and not let the customer go until it's resolved. They can give out their phone numbers so customers can call back.

"I'm tearing apart the business processes," he told me. "I used to think the foundation was solid. That was a misguided assumption.

"Once we deliver flawless customer service – I believe that can happen, I see the potential to make that happen – I won't hear about India any more.

"I blame the process challenges we have for complaints about offshore staffing."

The Bell Blues blog posting (March 29) has attracted 200+ comments from customers and employees about Bell's slipping service and how to improve it.

"Your blog has been a catalyst for a lot of good things, things we should have done before," Crull said.

No comments:

Labels

Canada (204) Internet (124) TV (104) iPhone (103) World (99) Liberal Party (65) New Brunswick (44) OUI (43) Ipod touch (33) Media (33) haha (29) Bus (26) Environment (16) StreetView (16) La politique (15) Twitter (15) Travel (12) wmtc (12) Books (11) iPad (11) Gadgets (10) Cancer (7) Monde (6) tetesaclaques (6) HOC (5) Shoshana (4) Games (2) Index (1) tac (1)

Twitter Updates

Places to See